How to quit
There are plenty of different ways to quit. Everyone is different, so it’s a matter of working out which way is right for you.
Remember that successfully quitting is about more than willpower alone. Adequate preparation and support are just as important.
Here are some quit tips to think about before you quit and to help get you started.
- Understand you smoking habit and why you smoke.
- Understand why you want to stop and what you will gain from being smoke free. Keep this visible to remind you.
- Consider what you can do to cope in situations when you would usually smoke a cigarette. Brainstorm some activities.
- Chat to your GP, pharmacist or Quitline about quitting methods.
- Find a ‘quit buddy’ for encouragement and support.
- Set a quit date.
- Throw out cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays from your house, car and workplace.
- Set some step-by-step goals.
- Think about how you will reward yourself for not smoking.
Remember, if one method isn’t working for you, that’s okay—just try another. Be persistent…it’s worth it. People usually make more than one attempt to quit smoking, so keep trying and learn what works for you.
Quitline counsellors are here to help, so for more details about any of this information, call Quitline on 13 7848 or request a call back.